baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: James Miller <jamtat AT mailsnare.net>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 13:12:56 -0500 (CDT)

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

If I have the webspace I'll put up my static version of MPlayer.
It's very nice. I can play DVDs on my PII, play many different
A/V files, even do a little video editing. Of course, it's a
huge binary, but IMO worth it.

Some day I will try this (after compiling the Matrox kernel). I might want to get the parport BL3 to work first so I can try BL3 on the neighbor's computer. MPlayer also does Realaudio? I keep getting segfaults when I install RP8 (except on our fastest computer, 475MHz). We are putting together one 600MHz computer - will Mplayer work on that with 128MB RAM?

Interesting offer of Mplayer, which I hear alot of good things about. With its plugins and added codecs, I think it can handle about any media file. So, it's like M$'s Media Player--only better :)

But it may be overkill for your needs, Sindi. You don't want to watch video, right? Just listen to some sort of broadcasts? I don't know if what I've found and been using will help or not. Streamripper is a command line program (also been gui'fied by someone in a related project, as I understand it) that writes mp3 streams to your hard drive. If the station(s) you want to listen to offer their streams in mp3 format, this program can capture them to hard drive for later listening. I suppose you could even listen near-simultaneously too, if you configured things right. Unfortunately, I'm not doing this on BL, so I'm not sure what would be involved in getting the program running on it. In addition to Streamripper, you need a program that plays back mp3's: there are also command line programs that do this--mpg123 or something like that is one of them, I think. That should definitely be in even older Slackwares (just checked: it's in 7.1 for sure).

James