baslinux - Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing

  • From: "David Moberg" <davidjmoberg AT lycos.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] broken windows needs replacing
  • Date: Sun, 17 Apr 2005 18:45:25 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "sindi keesan" <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>

> Another friend put XP on her
> computer with 950MHz cpu but 4GB drive and 128MB RAM, and after 2
> service packs was down to 3% free space (after first moving AOL to
> a second drive). They apparently no longer offer a minimal or
> custom installation.

The minimal was ~1.5GB with the first release and is still growing with
each service pack.

> > That's a lot of updating. Better to start with a larger distro if
> > you want that, I think.
>
> Okay. Another neighbor just offered to put on Redhat Fedora 3
> which comes with Mozilla, but it is probably already and
> out-of-date Mozilla.

Not _that_ out-of-date. Maybe a few months. The updates since then
are likely to only amount to minor bug fixes. FC3 looks like a
good option if up-to-date software is needed. DSL will probably
handle Mozilla, too. I have this old copy here which has a little
script to get Firefox (back when it was known as Firebird) and
install it.

> Opera lets you choose whether to do something with favicons.

Ignore them, probably.

> First
> thing I do when installing opera is to toggle off all the bars. I
> use the keyboard. Have you tried the Firefox add-on that numbers
> links? 'hide-a-hint'. Needs version 0.9 or later.

I haven't used Firefox since it was Firebird 0.6...

> >> Would it make any difference whether I use BL2 or BL3 for the above?
> >
> > Probably not, as long as you're updating everything. BL2 is usually
> > suggested for larger uses.
>
> I don't want to get into compiling gtk, so I may skip Mozilla and
> just show him BL2 with Opera and if he likes it, copy over my setup
> and he can change later to Fedora and Mozilla if Opera is not
> adequate.

Good idea.

[MPlayer]

> Some day I will try this (after compiling the Matrox kernel). I
> might want to get the parport BL3 to work first so I can try BL3 on
> the neighbor's computer. MPlayer also does Realaudio?

Yes. I can't figure out how to compile Live.COM, which lets you use
the rtsp protocol, so you need to download the file first or stream
it over HTTP/FTP.

> I keep
> getting segfaults when I install RP8 (except on our fastest
> computer, 475MHz). We are putting together one 600MHz computer -
> will Mplayer work on that with 128MB RAM?

That's faster than my PII, which works great. RAM doesn't help much
with video. A good graphics card (VESA), fast CPU, and decent disk
drives will work best.

David
once.
http://datingsearch.lycos.com