baslinux - Modifying BL2 ramdisk to work with 'user' was Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Modifying BL2 ramdisk to work with 'user' was Re: [BL] Kernel upgrade
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 02:58:31 +0000 (UTC)

The problem with saving a modified version of BL2 ramdisk is that it was just slightly too large. df says ram0 has 3567K but cat puts 4194304 bytes into a file ramdisk which was too large for ram1 so I used /hd instead and that worked fine. I did chown -R user /home/user and removed all the ethernet modules and games and X11R6 and ended up with 1.5M .gz file that works on the laptop, where we now have BL2 ramdisk with user and sed, and BL3 loop without user but with PCMCIA. It looks like I will need to find SW71 cardmgr and otherwise just copy over the files in /pcmcia, and the modules for pcmcia listed in one of those files.

We have about a 180MB second partition and will put BL2 on there without the compiler or X (which Unix Tools course does not require). Plenty of room to add full versions of busybox programs and all the shells. Dosemu can be accessed by chrooting to bl3 loop.

We were trying to find some way to use sed and
user at the same time - BL2 ramdisk has 'user'
and BL3 loop has sed.

Doesn't BL2 ramdisk have sed?

I just checked and it does in busybox. My partner said he could not find it. I will chown for 'user' and let him know, and put BL2 ramdisk on his laptop which has BL3 on HD after figuring out again how to modify it and resave the baslin.gz file. I am having the same 'No space left on disk' problem again on another computer now.

df
/dev/ram0 used 3646
/dev/ram1 used 4027 100%

Before I did
cat /dev/ram0 > /tmp/ramdisk (as suggested by a list member)
df said 4104 available 13 used, and 4104 is greater than 3646.
What am I doing wrong?

du - 3657

What exactly makes this file system expand when I do cat > /tmp/ramdisk?

My partner is taking a Unix Tools course and wants
to work as user.

For that, BL1 or BL2 would be simpler.

I will add ramdisk BL2 once I figure out how to modify it again.
Done.

But busybox programs may not be adequate for a Unix Tools and Scripts course. For instance ls won't work without color. I took BL1 off this computer to put on BL3. BL1 was good for C programming.