baslinux - Re: [BL] sound problems in BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sound problems in BL2
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 23:20:04 +0000 (UTC)

If you're getting more than 20 jitter errors per CD, then the drive is not a good one to be using.

I think jitter is some sort of running number - it keeps changing as each track is recorded but on the 8X drive runs between -5000 and +12,000 and it is 0 on the other drives.

Bad CD, maybe? Maybe there is some form of copy protection?

Is copy protection something at the very end of the disk which would explain why I got 10 pages of identical error messages while copying the final track? And only if I copied to the very end and recorded it all successfully would the copy protection end up on the copy of teh CD and keep it from playing, while the copy I made on the incompatible burner, with lots of errors, so bad that cdrecord quit after recording just the first 6 of 36 files, would play them okay (no copy protection even got onto the disk).

Yes, copy protection is usually is the cause of tons of error messages near the end of the CD. Although like I said below the problem is probably not copy protection. I have no idea why cdrecord is having problems though.

This CD also does not play on one CD deck. I will try copying a different CD and make a cassette tape of this one.

So copy protection explains many things, including why the wav files were playable on hard drive but not on CD.

Yes, sometimes ripping the CD will allow music to play better, i find in many cases, although read what I say below on copy protection.

Many many thanks. You have saved me a few more days of failed experiments and ruined CDs. I was going to try a different burner next. And .cdr or .raw files, and without -B.......

The CD I was trying to copy is one a friend recorded.

Ok, then copy protection is almost definitly not your problem. Unless your friend just verbatim copied the CD (didn't rip it to .wav files and then reburned) then it shouldn't have any form of copy protection. Are you sure your friend recorded this correctly?

She paid a professional company to stamp the CDs and sold them so it could very well have copy protection. She used to be a professional musician but got carpal tunnel syndrome or something of hte sort so is now a translator.

If I were to record all but the final track might it play?

Don't know.
I don't feel like ruining any more blanks to find out.

Is there some easier way to determine if a CD is copy protected other than cdda2wav, or maybe we could just do the last track?

Most CD's that you buy in stores have some form of copy protection logo. Look on the back of the CD especially and inside the cover. Note, I'm talking about Canadian/American CD's here and have no idea what CD's are like wherever you may live.

I don't buy CDs (except this one) but get them from the library. We will look at the cover if we get this error again. When did CD copy protection start? Perhaps we could try to hand-edit the raw image file to see what the protection looks like? If another disk gave the same error we could look for matching strings.

Sindi
Thanks again.

Stephen Clement