baslinux - Re: [BL] sound problems in BL2

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sound problems in BL2
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 04:33:08 +0000 (UTC)

Is copy protection something at the very end of the disk which would explain why I got 10 pages of identical error messages while copying the final track? And only if I copied to the very end and recorded it all successfully would the copy protection end up on the copy of teh CD and keep it from playing, while the copy I made on the incompatible burner, with lots of errors, so bad that cdrecord quit after recording just the first 6 of 36 files, would play them okay (no copy protection even got onto the disk).

Yes, copy protection is usually is the cause of tons of error messages near the end of the CD. Although like I said below the problem is probably not copy protection. I have no idea why cdrecord is having problems though.

This CD also does not play on one CD deck. I will try copying a different CD and make a cassette tape of this one.

So copy protection explains many things, including why the wav files were playable on hard drive but not on CD.

If I were to record all but the final track might it play?

Don't know.

Most CD's that you buy in stores have some form of copy protection logo. Look on the back of the CD especially and inside the cover. Note, I'm talking about Canadian/American CD's here and have no idea what CD's are like wherever you may live.
I live in the US near Canada (Michigan).

The next three CDs I tried to rip also gave me lots of identical errors on the very last track. I don't see anything about protection on them.

cdda2wav -J told me something about copy-permitted.

Some online reading led me to the fact that other people have had this problem and it is due to an intentionally erroneous checksum embedded in the last track which causes it to go in loops and time out. cdparanoia and cdda2wav have the same problem. (Have not tried DOS cd2wav on it). Someone said it is possible to copy all but the last track so I am currently attempting to record the first halves of three different CDs onto one blank as an experiment. I hope Bach, von Weber, and Wynton Marsalis like each other.

I will rip (copy from CD to wav) the first track of any CD first to see if the whole CD is copyable and eventually figure out which company besides Sony and D. Gram. to avoid copying. I wonder if this lost them sales.

During cdrecord on this 2X drive I have some other error message about Drive returns wrong startsec (0) using -150 but eventually after a long pause at 1 MB it is slowly recording. (The drive has only about 2000 jitter and works with cdda2wav). Other people had this message and hypothesized bad medium (I tried several blanks) or drive going bad (in my case I know it is worn out and we had to clean it to get it to work at all for data CDs). I will find out if this worked.

cdrecord -v -dao *.wav

(I have speed and dev in profile and default fifo).
Without -dao it will add 2 sec gap between tracks.

I have finished nearly 2 tracks out of 14 in only about 10 minutes. Last time we recorded a data CD in only about 40 minutes. Better than the 3 hour cdda2wav copy using an 8X reader.

So far three out of four CDs have had copy protection on the last track but I read that some company was scattering it at random and it was interfering with even playing music CDs on a computer drive.

The 1991 Philips CD copied the last track, 1992 Sony and 1992 Deutsche Grammophon did not and there is no indication on the CD of copy protection that I could find.

To make life more interesting, play and workbone also would not work on the first few tries then suddenly worked perfectly with no reboot or software changes - maybe the sound card warmed up? And the CD-ROM drives do not appear (either of them) to be connected to the sound cable but we got sound out the front of one of them.

And the bare-i kernel would not boot (crc error) until my partner changed the boot drive from D: (DOS) back to C: (Windows) with fdisk, though the Slackware kernel booted properly. He has been playing with MS DOS 7.1 standalone version and trying out FreeDOS CD-ROM driver, I think. Or maybe the latest FreeDOS himem.exe, since the previous one puts 77s in unwanted places on one computer. I still could not boot even if I hit F5 to bypass system files. Something strange going on.

I may try making a CD copy of all but the last track of my friend's CD.

One suggestion was to write with a felt-tipped pen around the margins of a copy protected CD to defeat the copy protection. How would that work?

A simpler solution is to go back to taping library CDs. Around here we find lots of good quality used tapes at the curb. The library probably would not appreciate us using felt-tipped pens on their CDs.

Could one record from line out of the sound card (or a receiver playing an LP) to line in of another (or maybe the same?) computer to get an analog sound file - .wav ? - and then use cdrecord to make an audio CD from the .wav file? Supposedly the quality would not be as good, but no worse than a tape I hope. It cannot be any slower than what I am doing now.

I am on track 7 of 14 and could be done by midnight.