baslinux - Re: [BL] sound problems in BL2

  • From: Stephen Clement <s.clement AT sympatico.ca>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] sound problems in BL2
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 16:11:02 -0500

sindi keesan wrote:

I have BL2 on two pentiums with lots of RAM. The first has a Vibra 16 AWE32 card that works well in DOS (plays midis that sound better than usual) but I was told Vibra16 does not work with sb.o. The second has a SB16 awe64 that works under Windows but not DOS.

I made the relevant device files (audio, dsp), and did the needed insmods, and copied over play, workbone, and sox from the first to the second computer. The dev files are to fix the original problem of missed /dev files in a few years worth of sb modules. Christof put together sound packages for bl2 which contain them. Did I need anything else?

The second computer won't play sound except with cat (or DOS or Windows).
Workbone: #1 stopped. Play - complaints about IRQ/DRQ conflicts. The IRQ is 5 DMA 1 as in DOS where it works. I read about someone else who had the card working in a 486 but not in a pentium, same software, tho usually it is really an IRQ or DMA conflict. I tried various other IRQs with no luck (they were all taken already).

Just out of curiosity, I then tried workbone and play on the vibra16, and contrary to all other reports, they work perfectly.

Soundblaster clones are very weird like that, sometimes they works, sometimes they don't. It's a hit or miss sort of thing.

I will try a different SB card than the awe64, but it may be some problem with this motherboard. ASUS. I have another similar one to try next.

------------------
I have also been trying to copy audio CDs. We have three CD-burners, which burn at 2X, 4X, and 8X.

The 2X is finally working, after a period in which it gradually got worse and would not even play a music CD. The lens was very dirty and needed cleaning with alcohol. But is is rather slow.

The 4X is one of those few that will not work with any but the most recent cdrecord, which I don't want to learn to compile just now. I tried both linux and DOS cdrecord and then read that they don't work with this drive.
DOS cdroast works fine, but there is no way I know of to burn audio CDs with it. I have not tried DOS cd2wav on this one (it works on the 8x).

So I tried cdda2wav with the 8x. In profile I can export CDDA_DEVICE=/dev/hdc or /dev/hdd or if I want to use scsi emulation 0,0,0.
hdc is the burner. I left it at default speed (24x reading) and it rather slowly made wav files from the tracks (cdda2wav -B copies all tracks individually - I discovered copying them as one big track did not produce a playable audio CD so I added -B). I could play the wav files in DOS or on the other computer. But near the end of copying each track I would get all sorts of error messages, and when I burned the result it stopped 20% of the way throughwith some complaint. I could play the parts that did burn.

Odd. Maybe report this to the cdda2wav mailing list?

I read about this and apparently cdda2wav works with only some drives. cdparanoia works with others but I did not want to learn that yet.

cdparanoia seems to work work with more drives, although it is MUCH slower (from my experiences with it).

So I tried the 8X non-burner that I had in there. I figured I had a speed problem since some instructions for audio CDs say to try 4X if you get errors. I set speed with -S 8, and it copied at min/max/current /1/8/1
for much of the time, or sometimes at /1/8/3 or /1/10/4, but took 3 hours to copy a 1-hour CD. I left it overnight and came back to pages and pages of error messages.

So I put in anohter drive someone just gave us and copied at 48X and it told me the speed was 1/1/1 but went much faster. On the last track of 36 I again got pages and pages of error messages.

Bad CD, maybe? Maybe there is some form of copy protection?

I could play the last three tracks and some others sampled from the middle by copying them to DOS (the computer won't play sound in linux) so I burned the disk. It quickly burned the whole thing. The first time it only burned 20% but would play that on a boombox. This time the boombox could not find the CD and workbone told me no media and the DOS players would not work either. I could see a color change meaning it was burned.
The DOS players gave me track information, just would not play the tracks. cdda2wav produced a .wav and an .inf file for each track, so the inf files seem to be okay but not the wav files. The burner is a Samsung.

Any idea what is going wrong? I am no longer trying to use cdda2wav on this burner, but why the error messages making wavs with two CD-ROM readers? And why, after I get playable wav files, would the burner not burn them? Is it also incapable of burning music CDs, not just reading them to wav files?

I will try the 2x next. We are destroying a lot of CD blanks.

I could also try to make .raw or .cdr files instead (-Oraw or -Owav) and burn them with the -audio switch (which is default but I put it in for cdrecord anyway). cdrecord -v -audio *.wav [or *.cdr or *.raw]. This burner makes data CDs just fine.

Do any of you have any experience copying music CDs with linux?

Yes, and they are limited to GRIP/cdparanoia/cdda2wav, and all have been successful. The only other thing that I can thing of would be copy protection problems.

Thanks,

Stephen Clement