baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 and WP8
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:14:25 +1300

James Miller wrote:

> I have a longstanding interest in getting a more
> advanced wordprocessing program working on BL:

Me too. That's why I was so please to get AbiWord
working on BasicLinux.

> I'm thinking of tackling Word Perfect 8 on BL3.
> Though it was supposed to install and run on BL1,
> I never could get that working

IIRC the problem was the WP8 installation routine.
The busybox binaries (in BL1) were missing some
parameters that the installation routine relied upon.
The solution is to install the full binaries from
Slackware 4.0.

> 1) what is the level of interest in seeing this done
> by other BL users?

Personally I think AbiWord is better than WP8. However,
AbiWord requires more than 16 colors (for some unfathomable
reason) and this cuts out a lot of old PCs. If WP8 works
with 16 colors or less, it will be useful for some BL3
users.

> (and directions developed for it)

The installation procedure is well documented. There's
even a WP8 FAQ (to which I gave a link a couple of days
ago). What we need is a list of the Slackware packages
required to make it work.

> 2) do you think it's feasible, Steven, for someone of my
> somewhat limited expertise?

Sure. It's mostly trial and error. Run the installation
routine until it barfs and then try to figure out why.
You'll probably see something from busybox like "invalid
option". At the beginning of that line (hopefully) will
be the command generating the error. Find which Slackware
package has that command and install it. Re-run the WP8
installation routine and repeat the process for any other
deficient commands.

> If Steven thinks it's at least feasible and is interested,
> and especially if he's willing to provide some tech support,

No problem. I had WP8 running on Slackware 3.5 several years
ago, so I know it's possible. We just need to add enough
Slackware to BL3 to give WP8 the foundation it expects.

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru