baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:49:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

But how would you use DOS commo to transfer a file
from a DOS dumb terminal to a linux computer?

You execute lrz on main system (typing on dumb terminal).
Then press ALT-Z (for commo upload) and enter name of
file you want to upload.

I will try this some time soon.

You can put another dumb terminal on another serial port.
Good idea. We need to make another cable.
I suppose we could even add two more serial ports

You also might be able to hook up a dumb terminal using
the modem.

The modem is already plugged into the phone line but there is a place to plug in a phone. I think you mentioned something earlier about using
a phone cord between modems instead of a serial nullmodem cable. Can you give more details about this? We have the two computers already hooked up with a phone line between the modems so they can share the line. Also a fax machine and a phone somehow connected (phone into fax machine, fax machine into computer 2, computer 2 into computer 1, computer 1 into wall?).

Would this let me use ttyS1 (modem with phone cord plugged into it) as a nullmodem cable instead of modem? I would have to change the s1 agetty line in inittab. We have no shortage of phone cords.

But then would the modem also work as a modem? We could put in a second modem on com3 or com4, I suppose, and use that for networking. We also have plenty of 14.4 modems but no free ISA slots. (If only there were a way to network the mic or linein port of a sound card.)