baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:50:22 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

su gives super user (root) access to ordinary users
(if they know the root password).

I will get it from shadow.tgz and try it but why do that
instead of just log in as root? Is it really more secure
somehow?

AFAIK su is no more secure than root. The security comes
from running as user and only using su when you really need
it.

I am tired of running into things user cannot do, such as
write files to disk.

That's why BL3 runs as root.

Is there something I need to do to let user do things like write to a file in /home/user with pico? I had to chmod Xvesa and SVGAlib (I think) so user could use those. User is rather crippled.