baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:51:01 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

To run telnet server, all you need is in.telnetd.

Would I also still need /etc/ppp/options containing
at least local noauth and crtscrts as desribed in the
linux serial networking site?

No, not for telnet itself. However, telnet requires an
existing TCP/IP network. Whether you set up that network
using PPP, ethernet, PLIP or SLIP is your decision.

I presume I was using PPP since the others were not running.
When telnet worked I was able to telnet to 192.168.1.1. I don't think I installed the ethernet driver first. How did my computers know that was the number of the one I was telnetting to?

How would I telnet over an ethernet connection? I experimented and got nowhere (loading the ethernet drivers then in.telnetd then trying to telnet with kermit). Perhaps this is due to my hardware problem.

I am getting thoroughly confused. ppp, ethernet, agetty. I am not sure what cable is involved when. Is ppp using the nullmodem cable?

The file /etc/ppp/options is used to set up a PPP network.
It has nothing to do with telnet (other than being part
of a process that gets a TCP/IP network up).

I don't have that file. It worked anyway when I telnetted.

Think of a TCP/IP network like a road. You can build
it out of concrete (ethernet) or tar (PPP) or gravel
(PLIP). Once the road is finished, you can drive various
types of vehicles along that road: telnet, ftp, http,
nfs, etc.

So I could telnet via ethernet?

I set up ethernet and tried to telnet to 192.168.1.1
Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused.

When it did work was I connected via ethernet or serial cable?
I had telnetd running at the time.

I presume linux to linux would work the same way.

Yes, it is possible to run a terminal program (eg minicom)
on Linux and use it to direct-connect to another Linux box.
However, it is more common to use a real dumb terminal
(or a DOS box running a terminal program) to direct-connect
to a Linux (or Unix) system.

Do lsz and rsz also include ymodem? Procomm does that.

Perhaps. I would have to read the lsz documentation to
be sure.