baslinux - Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] serial networking and telnet server
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 23:21:50 +0000 (UTC)

I could not login via telnet as root.

Various websites said to add to securetty as devices
pts/0 to pts/9 - what are these?

I thought I was telnetting via serial cable so I added ttyS0 through S3.

I finally realized I am telnetting (with Kermit or plain telnet) over the ethernet cable. It won't work unless I insmod the ethernet driver and run ifconfig first.

securetty comes with four lines starting in # and continuing with
ttyp0 through 3 which I uncommented.

I can now log in (probably four sessions) to my own computer as root.

This is supposedly a bad thing to do but user can't even write to a file with pico in BL2, let along change configuration files in /home/user.
Is there some way to make user more powerful or must root give permission to access each config. file?

Various websites said to log in as user and then su root. su is a small file in /a14/shadow.tgz

Well, now I can telnet or do send/receive between two computers hooked up with ethernet cable, both in linux, but not over serial cable.

I will try DOS kermit as a dumb terminal next. I think linux kermit does not do that. It is not a terminal program and also does not have a buffer, unlike DOS MS-Kermit.

My partner reports that he could not get the latest download of DRDOS 7.0.6 to even boot but FreeDOS is great! He has the Feb. edition and wonders if there is a later one.

To telnet over an ethernet connection first make the ethernet connection.

In my case (with pci modem, no need to specify I/O or IRQ)
On both comptuers type:

insmod rtl8139
ifconfig 192.168.1.1 (or .2 on the second computer)

On the computer to which you are telnetting type
in.telnetd -debug (having put in.telnetd from tcipi1.tgz in /usr/sbin)

On the computer from which you are telnetting type:
telnet 192.168.1.1 (or use clark instead of 192.168.1.1 in both places)

You will be asked to login (unless you are using kermit telnet with
.kermrc file specifying your login, which it will give automatically and maybe it will match what is on your other computer)

Log in as user, then hit enter.

If you want to work as root you will need first to uncomment those lines (at least the first one) in /etc/securetty ttyp0 etc.

Or su root if you have su (has to be added from shadow.tgz

I was able to telnet to clark, telnet from there to a shell account, and download via kermit using lynx at a website but since I was user I was not allowed to write this file to my account at clark. As root I probably can do that and then do receive/send to move it to my computer that I am telnetted from.

Now I need to figure out serial networking from DOS to linux via dumb terminal or telnet method.