baslinux - Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 19:55:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

This is a problem with BL. The aliases are very useful on command
line, but they do not work in scripts.

Is there some way to use an alias in a linux script like that?

A script runs in a fresh environment (although you can
export variables to that environment). If you look in
/etc/profile, you will see some variables are exported
(i.e. any scripts you call will contain those variables).
I've never tried exporting aliases, but I'm guessing it
will work.

I hope Steven will some day have time to compile a version
of links2 that also works with SVGAlib

It's not a matter of time. Steven has no interest in
SVGAlib for BL3 (which was designed to use X for graphics).
BL1 was designed to use SVGAlib for graphics.

Could you compile links2 for BL1 /SVGAlib? Or maybe a statically compiled version that will work on both BL3 and BL1 with SVGAlib?

links2 in X simply won't work on my 486 laptop with BL3 because I cannot do enough colors on it. Other people also have laptop computers that do no more than 8-bit color. This is typical of older laptop 486s - one of ours does just greyscale, two do 4-bit or maybe 8-bit color. Are there also older pentium laptops that won't do 16-bit color?

I suppose you would tell us all to use BL1/Netscape instead of BL3.
BL3 is nicely set up for PCMCIA modems already.