baslinux - Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:35:12 +0000 (UTC)

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004, Ian Scott wrote:

These days I have played with console e-mail client Mutt.
This is a very interesting piece of software.

Mutt is great, but I can think of two things which make it less
suitable for BL:

1) it is not very intuitive to use (I think it is like vi in this
respect - very powerful, but takes some learning)

2) it does not talk to a remote smtp server, so requires a mail server
such as sendmail to be running

What did you do to mutt so that it does work with BL? I have been using it to send all my outgoing mails with attachments. Works fine with smtp.
Do we already have a sendmail here?

If you want to replace the BL mail system, I'd reccommend pine (from
slackware) - which does online POP3, sending to a smtp server, and is
also a news reader.

However, Steven has done a lot of work to get a minimal mail system
working for BL. I am sure he looked at common clients like mutt and
pine, but chose pmail, etc because they were smaller and had all the
features he wanted.

Mutt has the features missing from pmail that I wanted, thanks greatly. Perhaps in the next version you could include the screentop menu which is missing from the current mutt package. (y for send, m for mail....)