baslinux - Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client

  • From: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client
  • Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:24:15

On 15 Oct 04 at 16:19, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

> > This file will actually be needed. I did not check, whether mutt
> > reads it or not. Paths of configuration files can be passed to mutt
> > either at compile time (I suppose the three locations mentioned
> > above), or by command line parameters or in .muttrc. The script
> > mu starts mutt with the ~/Mail/.muttrc. You may check whether in
> > ~/Mail/.muttrc there is a line that gives the correct path to an
> > existing mime.types file.
>
> ..mime.types is also in ~/Mail/.muttrc. Did your installation script put it
> there? (I did installpkg). If so, you could rewrite the script to put it
> where Mutt expects to find it. Mutt seems to work okay as it is though. I
> don't have Mutt on this computer so cannot check right now what is in
> .muttrc. I don't think this file is the problem with binary attachments, it
> is .mailcap not having .wav and .ppm in it.

I think for BL installation it is the best way to have all
configuration files in ~/Mail. I do not want to change Mutt's
"expectation" (this would be possible when compiling the program),
because the program would be incompatible with other mutt binaries and
people who have already been used to run mutt on their system
will not understand what is going on. I have no installation script,
but include a customized .muttrc that is given as a parameter by
the 'mu' script and contains the location of all the other
configuration files.

> The F key setup seems easy, but I was asking why you set the default to be
> 8859-2 not -1. I have not had time to read all the instructions, just enough
> to get this going on a basic level. I am new to mutt.

If I did not make a mistake, the default is 8859-1. But as soon as
you press either F3 or F4 it changes to 8859-2 or KIO8-R and can be
reset only if you manually edit the .lang file (F2). This may be
very confusing for users who have accidentally pressed F3, but do not
even know what iso-8859-2 is about. How to improve this? Should F2 be
used to reset the default?

> > I will put only the defaults from BL there, probably the same
> > defaults Steven put into the links.cfg. I will fix this, soon.
> > May be mailcap could be more self-documenting.
>
> >From which BL? I was pointing out that BL3 uses xli and BL2 can use zgv
> but I don't think it is available for BL3. (Delilinux has it for BL2). So
> the .mailcap needs to be different for the two mutt packages.

Yes.

> I did not know about aliases in scripts. In DOS I think you can write
> something like 'call file.bat' in another batch file. Is there some way to
> use an alias in a linux script like that?

You can of course call a script in a scripts. But an alias works only
on the command line. (Is this correct, Steven?)

> I have not checked mutt-bl2 for whether you used links-0.93 there (instead
> of 90). In the mutt-bl3 package that I downloaded recently you refer
> specifically to links-0.90 (in .muttrc, I think it was). So I don't think
> you are using that small 'links' script in your packages.

No because I made the add-on packages for the BL distribution.

> I just checked and links2 for BL3 works just fine in text mode so you
> could use it without X. Why do you say 'text links' (0.90?) is better? I
> have not found anything that 0.90 does better than 2. I notice that
> Steven's package rewrites the 'links' alias to point to links2 -g.

In that case I will change the mailcap line in mutt-bl3.tgz, too.

> You could include links2 and links2 -g as options (with #) in .muttrc.

This would be even better as long as bl3 still comes with the
console links as default browser.

Christof

Ceskobratrska cirkev evangelicka - Betlemska kaple na Zizkove
Prokopova 4/216, 130 00 Praha 3, Czech Republic
Tel. (+420) 222 78 06 73 / 222 78 20 02 / 603 18 87 53
http://www.volny.cz/cce.zizkov