baslinux - Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client
  • Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 07:46:59 +1300

sindi keesan wrote:

> > ------------------------
> > telnet 192.168.1.1 7993
> > ------------------------
> > That will connect you immediately to matanza (you don't
> > get the usual telnet login).
>
> What is 7993, a process number?

Port number.

> I have Kermit for DOS (MS-Kermit) which I have used
> before to connect to a linux computer running Kermit
>
> I did not need networking on either computer (did I?).

If you mean TCP/IP networking, no you do not necessarily
need TCP/IP to connect and transfer data. However, you
do need a server on one end and a client on the other
that are able to communicate with each other.

> Can I use DOS kermit telnet to telnet to a linux computer
> without networking,

I know little about kermit. If kermit telnet is fully
compatible with the standard telnet, then it should be
able to connect via TCP/IP to a telnet server running
on Linux.

> via a serial cable?

To use a serial cable without TCP/IP, you would need to
have a client on one end (eg INTERLNK) and a server on
the other (eg INTERSVR). Does kermit provide a suitable
client and server for this? I don't know.

> Or what would I need to put on the linux computer to
> make this possible?

Normally you put TCP/IP networking on the Linux computer
(and TCP/IP networking on the client). However, it
sounds like you are saying that kermit is able to connect
directly with another kermit. If so, running kermit on
the Linux computer might enable a connection to be made
directly.

> I have not set up any networks,

Oh yes you have.

> just ethernet send/receive.

If you are able to do send/receive via ethernet, then you
have a TCP/IP network. Your two ifconfigs establish a
TCP/IP network between the two computers.

> This would just save the need to reboot in linux, then
> again in DOS, on the first computer.

A DOS packetdriver will get TCP/IP running on the DOS
computer. The slip packetdriver is probably what you
want.

> Right now I just send files via DOS kermit

To a Linux kermit?

> I can also just use a floppy disk for transfer.

Perhaps by running DOSemu on the Linux computer, you
might be able to run INTERSVR or laplink?

http://www.basiclinux.com.ru