baslinux - Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Using Mutt e-mail client
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 19:13:01 +0000 (UTC)

I have mutt working in BL3 and BL2 now. The manual says you need mime.types in one of three locations. I notice it is in ~/Mail which is not on the list. I mention this because when I try to send a binary attachment things sometimes go wrong.

Text is properly detected and sent as 7-bit ascii.
gif jpg pdf get sent as base64

But wav and ppm files were detected and attached as quoted iso-8859-2 which is the E. European charset. This encoding encodes only the upper ASCII characters specially and thus takes up less space than plain base64 (which I think encodes all chars as 8-bit). So I poked around in /root/Mail and found some pertinent files.

I found charset set to iso-8859-2 in /root/Mail/.lang.
I don't recall instructions to change this in README. Might it be safer to set it to 8859-1 as default for the lucky majority of BL users who don't need to modify programs to use their charset and are not expecting to need to change it?

If I change to iso-8859-1 my .wav file is attached as 'quoted ISO-8859-1' instead of -2. It still won't come out as music, will it? What do I need to do to make mutt encode .wav and .ppm files as base64 in attachments?

I notice that .mailcap has something about gz and jpeg and gif and png but not wav or ppm. Mutt correctly encoded tgz jpg gif but not wav or ppm. Do you want to add these to the default .mailcap? What other formats do people use that are not in .mailcap already? I will attempt to add .wav and .ppm myself so that I can attach these as base64 without needing to modify mutt's expert guesses.

In .muttrc you have editor set to e3pi for BL2. I happen to have e3 on my computer but pico might be safer for the BL2 package.

In both BL2 and BL3 .mailcap you have zgv as default image viewer and xv as an alternate. BL3 does not have either of these but it does have xli. Could you puy xli and seejpeg instead in the BL3 .mailcap? Seejpeg is in SW3.5. I suppose xli should be the default since it comes with BL3 tho it is not cli.

I see you have catdoc set up to view .doc files and links-0.90 for .html files. I will have to remember to change that if I install links2 and delete links-0.90 (along with the line in alias for links). Would it work to specify just 'links' since there is an alias for that already?

It is nice to see that catdoc will also read rtf and xls files. I thought you needed a separate program for each of those. This mail package is really a winner!

Why do you have two ways specified for reading html? Should one of them have an # in front of it so as not to confuse mutt, or does it just choose the first?

My apologies if I somehow confused the two mail programs for BL2 and BL3 - I have mounted the BL3 partition to refer to it from BL2.

Many thanks for exactly the linux mail program I had been hunting for but thought never existed (simple text program that will attach binary files) and it also does much more than I ever expected, and it is fast and simple to use.

I have not tried Sylpheed as I prefer CLI if available. Has that worked well for other users?

We are apparently not a gaming crowd. I will try to test out these games some day but I really don't understand how to set up a network other than to just send/receive files and at least one is network based. It will be educational.

Has sqlite worked for other users? That is also going to be a winter project for me, before tax time. Mutt was more of a priority.