baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.32

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.32
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:29:32 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Could icewm be set to use links2 instead of 0.90 as
a text browser,

Sure, just edit the icewm to point to the other links.

Could the d alias in profile point to links2 instead of
links-0.90 and let us delete 0.90 to save space after
installing links2?

Is there any advantage to retaining 0.90 if we have links2?
I figured out that if I type links it tries to load links2 -g (graphical) and links2 loads links2 nongraphically. Probably it would be too complicated (if not impossible) for your links2.tgz package to change profile and the icewm menu to use links2, and offer the options of deleting 0.90.

Steven, why don't you include 1024 on the Xsetup menu?

Because many of the target systems do not have that
resolution. In particularly, none of my monitors can
display above 800x600.

Some of our computers don't display beyond 640. It sounds like you are not including 1024 because you cannot test programs with it.

I know 800 displays a bit faster in less RAM, but would
it hurt to give people a choice?

Users can set whatever resolution they fancy by editing
/etc/Xconfig. The initial Xsetup menu is just to get
them started.

Some users are flummoxed by having to edit a config file and several people have written to the list asking why they cannot choose 1024 on the menu.

AbiWord seems to require 8bit color or better (I don't
know why).

I would prefer this to work in 1-bit color.

Me too. Netscape 3.04 had the same restriction until I found
a work-around. Hopefully, somebody will find a work-around
for AbiWord. Please let me know if you do.

File a bug report? I might try writing them about this.

The laptop I was going to put BL3 on does not do 16-bit color, only 4-bit (maybe also 8-bit and I need to get xsvga to work).

It is the combination of Abiword needing at least 8-bit and Xvesa not doing 8-bit that is causing problems.