baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 zimage.p1 (pentium I optimized kernel) - no PPP support

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 zimage.p1 (pentium I optimized kernel) - no PPP support
  • Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 19:42:54 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 9 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

The p1 kernel would not ppp-on,

It works fine for me.

The error message suggested that either the modules
were not loaded

That's what I said: if you get a message about the
kernel lacking ppp support, it means you forgot to
install slhc and ppp.

The modules were loaded by rc. Next time I booted with this kernel it worked. (I think it took 3 tries). Ioften need to dial 2-3 times with BL3 before it connects. On one modem (external) BL3 won't ever connect.
BL2 always works (tho I need to set it to 57600 for the 56K external modem, which won't dial at all with BL3 or DOS).

Ithink a newer pppd might help here, for BL3.

or the kernel lacked ppp support.

Nope, all three kernels have ppp support (as long as
you install the modules).

Do you mind trying this once yourself?

I just tried them (again). They all work perfectly.

You may have a better modem or better phone connection than I do. It is not the ISP, because sometimes it won't even try to dial. BL2 pppd can handle all my modmes, which isthe first thing that impressed me about it.