baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3.32

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3.32
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:20:16 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 8 Oct 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I just noticed there is now a BL3.32 with
'e2fsck incompatibility fixed'.
Does this involve just one file?

No. It was a problem with the 20mb fs.img.
Installations to HD do not have that problem.
If I wanted to continue using the loop version of BL3, is there something simple I can do to it to eliminate that problem instead of reinstalling after redownloading?

The add-ons list still refers to Abiword for BL3.31

That's just to remind users that AbiWord doesn't
work with earlier versions of BL3.

How about 'or later'?

The ibiblio site downloaded Abiword for me at average
speed of 1.8K/sec on my 56K modem (11 am Thursday) with
actual speeds 0-4.9K. For 5.8MB this comes to 54 minutes
download.

As I've said before, basiclinux.com.ru is significantly
faster for me.

Is the Russian site the one listed as 'backup copy' (second in order)? I would to use 'the add-ons are stored here' unless told otherwise.
Maybe you could change the wording to something like - if one of these sites seems slow, try the other? Maybe the second one is faster because everyone is using the first?

Are the clipart and all the fonts essential
for installing and/or using Abiword

There's very little clipart (just a token amount
to show users how to use that feature). The font
files are certainly big and I suppose you could
remove all except one. However, I don't know how
that will affect the ability of AbiWord to handle
MSWord documents. I was careful to leave the font
structure the same (although I did reduce the size
by about a quarter) to insure AbiWord will still
do a good job of displaying .doc files.

The BL2 version had I think 2MB clip art. Thanks for recompiling.

Can you somehow modify things so that one font can stand in for several others? I notice Arial and Helvetica are the same. But some fonts look wider (more spread out) and some narrower so maybe you need them all for WORD. I wish people would send text.

How much space would NLS and a couple of additional fonts for other charsets take up?