baslinux - Re: [BL] mutt add-ons for BasicLinux

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: cce.zizkov AT volny.cz, baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [BL] mutt add-ons for BasicLinux
  • Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 19:46:53 +0000 (UTC)

I downloaded and tested (briefly) mutt for BL3.
I read README when it did not work on the first try, and suitable modified the configuration files. README said to type mu to start the program, which explains why typing mutt just led to error messages instead of sending mail.

For a beginner like me, it is a slight problem that no help menu appears at the top of the screen when I type mu instead of mutt. Perhaps you can change the default to show this menu?

I successfully sent myself mail with text attachments.

Then I sent a jpg as attachment but it looks like it was sent as
[text/plain, quoted, us-ascii:iso-8859-2:u

This looks perfect for someone who sends and receives Czech attachments (written in upper ASCII in that 8859-2 font), but is there some way it could be set to binary as the default? I will read the instructions to figure out how to set it myself to send binary (base64 encoded attachments).

Christof mentioned something about not finding any Czech fonts in Abiword and Steven said there seemed to be lots of fonts with diacritics in them, but I assume they are all the same 8859-1 in which the upper ASCII characters are those needed in W. European languages. I hope that Christof can get this working with 8859-2 at which point maybe Steven would consider fewer styles of the same character sets to make space for one E. European set. Czech has, for example, a 'hachek' or small v on top of s z and c, and a small o over the u. 8859-2 would work for other E. European languages. 8859-5 for Cyrillic (Russian). We have users from many parts of the world. Why supply five or ten ways to print French but none for Hungarian? People in E. Europe are more likely to be using older computers for economic reasons. Some of the best recent linux and DOS software comes from the Czechs and and Slovaks (links, Arachne, pictview, a Slovak DOS spreadsheet and database program).

How much extra space would NLS support require for Abiword?

Back to mutt:

A few minor spelling errors (directally for directly, suppurt for support) but I am otherwise astonished at the nearly perfect English, not to speak of the fact that this worked on only the second try (after I read the README). First I tried man mutt, then I used Steven's suggestion of d to look inside the mutt-bl3.tgz file to find what was included and discoverd a doc directory with README and many other help files.

README mentioned that this package even includes catdoc (to read WORD files) and xls2cvs (Excel files) and html2text, for reading emails or attachments in strange formats.