baslinux - Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:49:25 +0000 (UTC)

Why are you using com5 for your modem? Is it a winmodem? If so, either it won't work with linux or it will need a specially compiled linux driver (for instance I have read that some lucent or pctel modems can be used as 'linmodems').

com5 ttyS4
With capital S

I get error messages if I type ttys1 or even tty1 instead of ttyS1 for Com2.

Do you have a free ISA slot to which you can add a hardware modem on Com1 or Com2? (disable any onboard serial ports first). Our better internal ones can be set to Com1 through Com4, which is why I suspect you have a winmodem on Com5.

If not, do you have a serial port? We have extra 14.4K internal and external hardware modems.

Steven, if he can't change the modem on this computer, is there some way the computer could be networked to another computer with a hardware modem to use that?

If I edit pppsetup line: tty /dev/ttys2
to read: tty /dev/ttyp1 (so as to send to a second terminal open on
xterm), then enter ppp-on, no error message appears, and "atz" appears on
the second terminal. Perhaps the problem is with my modem, or the port
the modem is connected to (COM5).

Your time is appreciated,
Regards,
Dan