baslinux - Re: [BL] soundcard support for bl3

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] soundcard support for bl3
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:59:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 cce.zizkov AT volny.cz wrote:

On 23 Sep 04 at 4:00, keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

I just installed this (with pkg) in the latest BL3 and it all worked (with
defaults for sb.o). I ran the 'test' and played the 'welcome.wav' with play
and tried out 'say' on files and words. I heard 'test' count to ten in
Czech. But when I use 'say' on other files they all have a Czech accent!
Is this a Czech program? The final voiced sounds (d) become unvoiced (t).
th sounds like f.

1. Did you try command line options?

Yes, I used play with a .wav file and say with a text file (English numbers) and a word. I don't have any MP3 files and would have to make some first. Ron steered me to DOS cdtowav.zip and bladeenc.zip (to make wav into mp3). He said there are linux versions of these too, and some other wav to mp3 programs (faac and lame), which I found for both libc6 and libc5. It might be fun to try them with BL3 but I hope Ron will do this first.

The Czech numbers are heavily tweaked, the source file is
written phonetically, whereas the English numbers are written
in ordinary English words.

Czech words are witten mostly phonetically. You can pronounce them without many rules. You just need to know that voiced consonants become unvoiced in some positions (before another unvoiced consonsant or at the end of a word). What do you mean about writing the source file phonetically?

The quality is about that of the little program that comes from
Creative, whose name I forget. Not quite as good as the local
weather forecast. Thanks for sharing your work.

It is sbtalk.

It is amazing how this very small program can work at all with
English language that hardly has any pronounciation rules.
The website where I looked for download was at a German university.
I am afraid that 'say' has been just a toy and has not been devoloped
further. But there are probably rules, conventions, and scientific
approaches to do something similar on a higher level, eg. for the
visual impaired.

I ran across one free adaptation of IE that talked. Has anyone come up with a linux talking browser? Links or lynx seem like better candidates for someone with no vision at all, but I suppose a graphical browser is better for people with some vision.

Here are two more sound topics:

2. Yesterday I tried to record a wav file from an analog input in BL2.
The recording script (not yet uncluded in my sound packet) makes use
of sox and aumix (in BL2 I use even smaller program called umix). So
it should work in BL3, too. Recording, however, presumes that you
have several hundereds of MB room on your hard disk partitions. If
you want to edit wav files, even more. And this is probably is
nothing for low-end processors, either.

Was aumix tested in your test program? I did not notice a readme file about it.

3. Obviously beyond BL is editing wav files. Here, GUI and using
mouse makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately I I was not able to compile
any of those smaller or larger applications available on the web. The
ordinary Slackware 7.1 environment seemed not be sufficient. Compiler
complained mainly about the GTK version (or its installation?). In
the end I found a binary taon-0.6b that does everything I need, but
works only in BL2, source is not available. This could be posted as
BL2 add-on. What do you think, Steven?

Christof