baslinux - Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 19:40:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Dan Schmidt wrote:

I execute pppsetup and enter (what I think is) the appropriate
information. (I use ctrl + x to move to the next screen. Is this the
right thing to do?)

Then, after typing ppp-on I get the following message:

" /usr/sbin/pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP. This could
be because the PPP kernel module is not loaded, or because the kernel is
not configured for PPP. See the README.linux file in the ppp-2.3.7
distribution.
service #0: pppd failure at 02:10PM sep 22, 2004 "

I have the 2.2.16 kernel that comes with BL3.
How can I tell if the PPP module is loaded?
If I don't have it, how do I load it?

lsmod lists the modules which are loaded.

I have gotten the above error message when I did not load ppp.o and slhc.o by running pppsetup (or by some other means, such as removing the # from in front of those lines in /etc/rc and rebooting, or simply typing insmod slhc and then insmod ppp both followed by the enter key). Are you sure that you typed pppsetup and ppp-on without rebooting in between? These modules don't stay loaded on exit from linux, they have to be loaded every time you boot either manually (insmod), via the pppsetup script, or via the script in rc. Same for the three modules needed to use CD-ROM drive, also in rc, which I have also forgotten to insmod before using.

Much thanks
Dan