baslinux - Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 07:50:12 +1200

Dan Schmidt wrote:

> Other times it says:
> "Failed to open /dev/ttyS4: No such device."

That's the message I would expect when no serial device
is on /dev/ttyS4.

> Still other times no message appears, just the terminal
> indicator. If I then type ppp-off, it says "terminated".

So, it appears that *something* may be at /dev/ttyS4
but not exactly what is expected. It may be that Sindi's
guess (that it's a winmodem) might be correct.

> If I run pppsetup and enter ttyS0 (or any number up to 3),
> it says: "registered device ppp0". No terminal indicator
> is then displayed;

Please explain exactly what you mean by the "terminal
indicator".

> When this happens, the system will not respond to any
> command I know, except ctrl+alt+del which, of course,
> reboots. Is there any other option in that situation?

ctrl-C works in some situations. If that doesn't work,
ctrl-alt-F2 will usually take you to tty2 where you can
kill the process tying up tty1.