baslinux - Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 08:47:18 +1200

sindi keesan wrote:

> > ctrl-alt-F2 will usually take you to tty2 where you can
> > kill the process tying up tty1.
>
> Alt-F2 works if you are in text mode, doesn't it?

Yes, but I suspect he is in X. CTRL-ALT-F2 works in both
CLI and X.

> I get this problem frequently - please explain again how
> to kill a process. It was something like kill `pidof`

That works if you know the precise name of the process.
For example:
------------------
kill `pidof icewm`
------------------

However, I usually just do: ps
This lists all running processes by number. Then I kill it
by number. For example, if the problem process is 73:
-------
kill 73
-------
Sometimes a process refuses to die and you have to kill
it with extreme prejudice:
kill -9 73

> Do I first type 'top' to get the number of the process,
> for instance 123, and they type kill

ps is quicker.