baslinux - Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?

  • From: Dan Schmidt <dnhschmidt AT juno.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 20:48:27 -0400

> Dan Schmidt wrote:
> >
> > I run pppsetup , then exit and save.
> > Immediately (without reset) I enter ppp-on.
> > Same error message.
>
> You mean it says the kernel lacks ppp capability?

Yes. (And I agree that "Same error message" is unclear.)
The message I get is:

" /usr/sbin/pppd: This system lacks kernel support for PPP. This
could be because the PPP kernel module is not loaded, or because the
kernel is not configured for PPP. See the README.linux file in the
ppp-2.3.7 distribution.
service #0: pppd failure at 02:10PM sep 22, 2004 "

> > I enter lsmod , and ppp and slhc are listed as being
> > installed (no other modules are listed).
>
> Then it is very strange that you get a message saying
> the kernel lacks ppp capability. The fact that the
> ppp module is listed means the kernel has that capability.

I agree that it is very strange. I am at a loss.

> > Perhaps the problem is with my modem, or the port
> > the modem is connected to (COM5).
>
> COM5 is unusual. What happens when you do:
> setserial /dev/ttyS4

I get: /dev/ttyS4: No such device

Regards,
Dan