baslinux - Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] PPP kernel module is loaded?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:05:35 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Dan Schmidt wrote:

Sindi,

The "S" in ttyS4 was capitalized, I just forgot to capitalize it in my
post.

Do you actually have a /dev/ttyS4? Type ls /dev/ttyS* to find out.
This lists all the files in the /dev directory that could be comports.

I may well have a 'Windows' modem. I'm not really in a position to make
hardware changes, or modem-driver changes, but I do appreciate the offer
(if indeed you were offering some hardware). This may be a hopeless
case. I really just wanted to know if there was something simple I could
type in at the terminal. And indeed, I have learned a lot.

The modem is a 3COM U.S.Robotics 56K fax PCI modem model 5610.

All PCI modems that I have seen are winmodems, meaning you need special driver software to run them, since they are incomplete compared to hardware modems, which don't need the special drivers. You can look on line with a search engine such as google for the above modem, or search on 'modem' and 'linux' for a list of modems that do or do not work with linux, even with special linux drivers. I think one other list member has experience with one brand of PCI hardware modem - Hal?

You can plug in an external modem without changing anything inside the computer, if you have a serial port and if it is not disabled. You can check if it is disabled by plugging in a serial mouse and seeing if it is recognized (for instance do the setup routine in BL3 and choose serial mouse on Com1 or Com2). You plug in the modem to the serial port via a modem cable, and then plug a power supply into the modem from the wall outlet. If you have 110 Volt (USA) power I could send you a slow (14.4) modem to experiment with, but that requires that your ISP support that speed and many no longer do so. It would save postage costs if you ask your friends for an external modem.

I'll confess that I don't know why it's in COM5. I thought maybe Windows
put it there. I did try moving it to a different PCI slot, which I
thought would change its COM port, but it still shows up in COM5. Do you
know of a way to change this?

Windows modems tend to be in odd ports like that. If it works in Windows leave it the way it is. I don't think you will get it to work in DOS or linux anyway. The PCI slot location does not affect the port setting of modems. But if you have a PCI video card it is best to put it in the slot nearest the power supply because on some computers (in one case only if I upgraded the cpu) they don't work properly otherwise. Someone once gave us a computer because it stopped working when they put in a new PCI video card, in the wrong slot.

We have put ISA 14.4 modems into computers which also have 28.8 or 56K winmodems and they coexist peacefully. You do need to disable the onboard comport if you put in an internal modem. It is not terribly difficult once you get the case open. Just find a free slot, unscrew the little screw holding the slot cover in place, put the modem into that slot and push the edge with little gold stripes into the matching slot, and put the screw in again. If you have a new computer with no ISA slots you are stuck with PCI modems (which are winmodems most of the time) or external modems.

Sindi

Regards,
Dan