baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 13:11:02 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

I think I have fixed the Xvesa problem in BL3.
I'm now booting it via xinit (instead of using
the direct call to Xvesa) and it happily runs
the programs that used to crash (eg xfreecell).
I've only tested a few so far, but I'm optimistic.

Does Xvesa work in BL3 with Netscape?
I just tried to use the delilinux Xvesa in BL2 with Netscape.
It won't load, and tells me:

locale 'C' not supported.
Perhaps the $XNLSPATH envir is not set correctly?

Opera complains that locales are not supported but works in Xvesa anyway.
NLS - national language support. I don't need that. I do NOT have regular X on this machine, just Xvesa and dependencies.

I started Xvesa with xinit (and icewm).
I will try Abiword in BL2 with Xvesa.

The reason I didn't use xinit from the beginning
was because it depended on several large libraries.
They would have added 500kb to BL3. However, I
have now recompiled xinit without those dependencies,
and it appears to do what is needed to get Xvesa to
behave.

I'll need to test this for the next few days.
If all goes well, I'll be releasing a new BL3
in a week or two.