baslinux - Re: [BL] Xvesa

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: BasicLinux List <baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Xvesa
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 14:17:25 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, sindi keesan wrote:

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

I think I have fixed the Xvesa problem in BL3.
I'm now booting it via xinit (instead of using
the direct call to Xvesa) and it happily runs
the programs that used to crash (eg xfreecell).
I've only tested a few so far, but I'm optimistic.

Does Xvesa work in BL3 with Netscape?
I just tried to use the delilinux Xvesa in BL2 with Netscape.
It won't load, and tells me:

locale 'C' not supported.
Perhaps the $XNLSPATH envir is not set correctly?

Opera complains that locales are not supported but works in Xvesa anyway.
NLS - national language support. I don't need that. I do NOT have regular X on this machine, just Xvesa and dependencies.

I started Xvesa with xinit (and icewm).
I will try Abiword in BL2 with Xvesa.

I just downloaded Abiword from your BL2 add-on site and it also won't work, due to locale problems and font problems.

In a separate window I get a long message: can not set locale modifiers.
AbiWord was not able to add its fonts to the X font path.
[Do I need to set an X font path? I don't have plain X, just Xvesa, on this computer].
You will need to modify your font path manually. [OK]
[how do I modify my font path?]

I get various other messages after clicking on OK.

In the rxvt I see:

Xlib: extension "XFree86-Misc" missing on display ":0.0"
[Does this mean I NEED Xfree86 rather than Xvesa?]

then various Gdk-WARNING messages:

locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C
[like Opera, it is clever enough to work around this problem]

can not set locale modifiers

Error converting icon name to text property:-2
[what causes this particular error?]

Then it exits back to the prompt.

Any ideas on how to get abiword working in BL2 with Xvesa?
If you get it working in BL3 that will be fine instead.
Or I can try the bl2-x.tgz package (plain VGA).

It appears I was just lucky that Opera and xv and xdpf work with Xvesa.