baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 won't print or scroll in console mode

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 won't print or scroll in console mode
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 09:26:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > Is there something I should be doing differently on a computer
> > with two parports?
>
> --------------------------------
> insmod parport
> insmod parport_pc io=0x278 irq=5
> insmod lp
> --------------------------------
> 278 and 5 are just examples. Substitute the correct values
> for your system.

To choose the printer I would insmod parport_pc for that io and irq?
Or do two insmods for two ports, and then choose my printer by sending the
file to /dev/lp0 or /dev/lp1 or using the proper gs filter?

Standard for my card is io=0x378 and irq=7, as reported by dmesg.
I can set the onboard port to something else in CMOS, another address and
irq=5 or even another address and irq=7. Can I have two printer ports
with different addresses sharing one irq? I may need irq=5 for sound.

But disabling the onboard port still did not let me print via lp0 on the
card. Maybe the card is just odd - I had to specify io with parport_pc to
get the MDA part to work properly.

How does the hardware determine which port is lp0? I have one MDA card
with a port of a non-standard address, would that make it lp1?