baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 won't print or scroll in console mode

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 won't print or scroll in console mode
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:02:31 -0400 (EDT)

A very kind Czech programmer replied to my posting in linux-kernel about
the lack of a scroll buffer in mdacon. He said this is because the older,
plain MDA, cards did not have the extra memory available that VGA cards
(and MGA cards) have. I think this must be the memory used for graphics.
He will attempt to make an mdacon scroll buffer for me.

dmesg tells me I have a Hercules card with 8K of memory. Not much to
spare for a scroll buffer.

Ask and you shall receive. It may have helped that I asked in Czech.

I have asked elsewhere for help in getting ghostscript to work with an
extra driver that was not compiled into it, for the newer HP parport
printers.

I discovered that HP 670 works with deskjet djet500 laserjet and ljetplus
drivers. Probably HP500 series would do the same. I tested on a file
with text and some small images in it. ljet2p driver does not work.