baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 won't print or scroll in console mode

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 won't print or scroll in console mode
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 05:41:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, James Miller wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Aug 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:
>
> > I still can't print with xpdf because Xvesa will not load for 'user' just
> > 'root', in BL2. Any ideas why and how to fix this?

> What are the permissions on the binary? Did you try resetting them?

I did. chmod +x Xvesa did not help. They were all x's already.

I was able to print with regular X on my previous computer, as user, but
never tried Xvesa there as user. I might resurrect it and do so.

> James

I did a web search on scroll buffer linux console, found two of my own
postings, then something from linux-kernel-org about improvements to
vgacon such that it now has a scroll buffer (don't know which kernel
number). vgacon - vga console. My lack of scroll was on a TTL monitor
using mdacon. I will try viewing in VGA. I may be stuck using VGA online
with Kermit if I want a scroll buffer. DOS Kermit comes with its own
buffer. For linux they say to use the scrollbar, but that requires using
X (and xterm or rxvt). Shift-PgUp works in X (on other computers anyway,
did not try here).

My problems in viewing and printing pdf files are in part related to the
fact that they were apparently scanned at 200x200 dpi, ghostscript is not
designed to display things better than they will print, and printers don't
generally do that resolution. Converting from pdf to pbm to gif and then
viewing gives much clearer output than even printing at 300x300 dpi, which
involved interpolation of the dots. I think xv comes with a few CLI
utilities for converting between formats - does anyone know if there is
some pbm to gif convertor, and white-on-black to black-on-white invertor?
I did them one at a time with a DOS program (pictview, freeware), planning
to print gifs with DOS printgf. But a printed version would either be
interpolated or half the size (if 1:1 dots). Printing at 600x600 dpi
would solve the problem but I don't know of any linux-friendly printers
that do that resolution. Mine don't, anyway, except the Windows-only
models.