baslinux - Re: [BL] How to get USB devices working under Linux

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to get USB devices working under Linux
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 13:15:20 -0400 (EDT)

Another way to read memory cards with DOS (or Windows) is to stick them
into a PCMCIA adaptor and thence into a PCMCIA slot, which are available
for installing into 3.5" bays and PCI slots. We have two that go into ISA
slots. These cost $20 (the adaptors) and the PCMCIA slots cost something
too. They come with DOS and Windows software.

Or kingbyte (Taiwan) and mcmicro (Brazil?) sell parallel port memory card
readers for Smartmedia (and maybe other formats), price unknown, that plug
into the parallel port. Kingbyte's DOS software is 65K, comparable to
photopc.

Datafab used to make two readers MDSM and MDSM-SR (portable and
fixed models, the latter with pass-thru) in 1998, one of which sold
recently on eBay for about $2 plus $8 shipping to Europe only. There are
lots of readers for Windows only selling new for about $5. I did not
check for PCMCIA adaptors. We won't be carrying a computer with us and
can't count on finding PCMCIA slots. I hear some new computers don't have
parallel OR serial ports but in that case maybe they have built-in card
readers and WinXP software to go with them.

I attempted to write the first two companies for more information. Links
worked better than lynx at one otherwise invisible site.

What would it take to make a parallel port memory card reader work in
Linux? I might write the linux-parport list.