baslinux - Re: [BL] How to get USB devices working under Linux

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to get USB devices working under Linux
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 10:46:11 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, James Miller wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:
>
> > Can you tell me how much disk space the USB and card reader software for
> > DOS occupies?
>
> I'm going to guesstimate that the two USB drivers I load to initialize the
> compact flash disk/reader I use take up less than 100KB of disk space.
>
> > Are you doing this with FreeDOS?
>
> Yes, this all works for me under FreeDOS. Haven't tried it with M$DOS or
> others, but it should work with them as well.
>
> James

Sounds great. If we get a card reader I will write you for help with it.

Are linux kernel modules about the same size as DOS drivers for the same
device? If so, this might even work in BL2 (assuming I can compile the
modules). I could make up a dedicated 2-floppy set without any of the
other modules (ethernet, parport) to save disk space, assuming the modules
still fit in RAM. If you have time please check how much RAM USB takes up
in DOS, thanks.