baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 Xvesa as 'user'

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 Xvesa as 'user'
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:15:35 -0400 (EDT)

man Xvesa says something about security holes if you allow users to use
Xvvesa. A web search on Xvesa and suid root says 'kdrive servers must be
suid root wo work, which is _not_ a good thing. Maybe it is possible to
use the old wrapper that X used for this purpose but this has not yet been
investigated'.

Hal said there were two ways to make something suid root (superuser ID
soMething or other - can anyone explain more?) with chmod and numbers or
u+s by the new method. Another online search found someone trying to use
samba and being told something had to be run suid root and to do this type
chmod +x /path/filename so I typed (as root) chmod +s Xvesa (from the
directory where it resides).

I hope someone more experienced can explain what suid root is and why you
are supposed to type u+s or +s (same thing?).

I can now use Xvesa as 'user', and thus print from within xv or opera
(xpdf?) once I replace the linux-incompatible MGA-parport card.
Anyone trying to print graphics in BL3 might need to install the packages
needed to set up user (getty and I forget what else) and chmod +s Xvesa.

I still cannot use SVGAlib as user: svgalib: cannot get I/O permissions.
Back to the web for help. I set gs to use vgalib as the default device.
But I think I can still print to -sDEVICE=epson or deskjet as 'user'.
BL3 does not use SVGAlib but BL2 uses it for graphical links without X.
I have gs set to display with vgalib as the default device (a subset of
svgalib).

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I can use Xvesa in BL2 as root but not as user. I get a fatal server
> error if I try to do so, telling me I need to be suid root.
>
> I looked on line and found two related postings and the solutions are:
>
> install /usr/ports/x11/wrapper
>
> and in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config

This wrapper stuff probably pertains only to traditional X. Is it a way
of setting things up so as not to need suid root?