baslinux - Re: [BL] BL2 Xvesa as 'user'

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL2 Xvesa as 'user'
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 18:07:41 -0400 (EDT)

Now that I have Xvesa working for user by making it suid root, I tried to
start Xvesa with xinit and an rxvt terminal and was told
rxvt: Failed to open input method
rxvt: can't open pseudo-tty
rxvt: aborting

Xvesa &rxvt as user gets me the mouse pointer on patterned screen but no
terminal window (as root I get an rxvt).
When I exit the Xvesa screen:
[1] 231
rxvt: Failed to open input method.

This is on a computer with Xvesa but no plain X (no XV86Config).
I think I was able to get an rxvt on the computer with both X'es.
I wonder what I am missing.

ls -l rxvt -rws--x--x

This looks executable.

A web search found me someone's similar problem with xterm and XF86Config
but no answers. Another person had this same error message when trying to
set up unicode - worked as root but not user. Someone else had a similar
problem with locale.

I have copied from /root to /home/user all files in '.' (configuration
files) and hotlist.html. The various console programs seem to work. I
also copied /root/.links/* to /home/user/.links because two files were
hiding in there.

links2g won't work as user - svgalib i/o problem.

There is also an .antiword directory to copy contents of - or maybe a
better place to put that instead of in /root - /usr/share/antiword (I
should redo the package this way). Antiword also denies me permission to
use it. chmod +x /usr/local/bin/antiword - operation not permitted.
Luckily I know the author of this program.

I really do not need to be user for anything except printing graphics with
lpd (in xv) but Steven recommends it for going online and Opera needs
Xvesa. Can someone tell me how to load opera without first making an
rxvt?

I wish I could print as root.