baslinux - [BL] BL2 Xvesa as 'user'

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL2 Xvesa as 'user'
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2004 17:15:17 -0400 (EDT)

I can use Xvesa in BL2 as root but not as user. I get a fatal server
error if I try to do so, telling me I need to be suid or root.

I looked on line and found two related postings and the solutions are:

install /usr/ports/x11/wrapper

and in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config
set "allowed_users" to equal "console"

At least one of these people was using XFree86 not Xvesa.

I can't find /usr/ports or /etc/X11 in my BL2 but I have set it up
with only the minimal X packages needed to run Xvesa. With Xfree86
(Steven's package) "user" worked for me in BL2. What do I need to install
from what package to make it work with Xvesa and "user"? I was hoping to
print from xpdf and I think you can only print graphics as "user" not
root.

xpdf displays too slowly even on my fastest computer to use in real time.
It is faster to print the pages than to display and scroll around in them.

I will print from gs instead.