baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 kernel panic with FAT32 d:\baslin

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 kernel panic with FAT32 d:\baslin
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:05:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

> Sindi Keesan wrote:
> >
> > I used my ethernet cards to transfer BL3
> > to a second computer with one hard drive (hda)
> > and BL3 again in d:\baslin.
>
> Is D: on a primary or extended partition?
> Is it FAT16, FAT32 or what?

All our partitions are primary.
hda1 - Win32/DOS
hda2 - DOS
These are both FAT32. This is our only computer (I hope) where DOS/BL3 is
on a FAT32 partition. I made all of mine FAT16. That lets me at least
run defrag from a DOS boot floppy.

> > I transferred BL3 to several computers this way
> > and on the others it runs.
>
> Same questions: primary/extended? FAT?

The ones where it works are FAT16. All are primary.

> > hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 (BL2 on hda3, DOS on others,
> > Win98 on hda1 too)
>
> OK looks like primary partition.
>
> > kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs at 07:00
>
> It can't find initfs.gz. Are you sure you transfered it?

I was transferring DOS with plip but initfs.gz was getting messed up and I
may have forgotten to redo this one computer with ethernet transfer.
Thanks. Will retransfer tomorrow. Today was spent 'fixing' the laser
printer. Turned out to be a bad cable. First I checked both printer
ports. I think I have two working linux computers all set up now and some
free partitions to try BL3 on hard disk.

Would it be possible to compile things in BL3 (older glibc5) and then add
glibc5 to BL2 and run the BL3 programs in BL2? That way I would not need
to compile twice. Of course nobody else could use them without also
adding glibc5 - how large is the runtime library? Or would it make them
much larger to compile statically incorporating libc5 (which I think you
did for a few add-ons, ftp?). It might be interesting to try this for
ghostscript. The SW3 and 4 versions will be obsolete (along with SW81 and
91).

> > On my own computers I use FAT16 for DOS. Would it be
> > causing the FAT bread problem when booting BL3?
>
> Could be. I have always assumed BL3 boots OK from
> Windows 98, but I have no Windows machines to test
> it on.

Lucky you. I still need to read WORD files that are beyond the
capabilities of five WORD to text convertors.

I can try copying BL3 from D: (FAT16) to C: (FAT32) on the other computer
with Win98 if the initfs.gz is the same on the problem and the other
computer. md5sum.