baslinux - [BL] BL3 kernel panic with FAT32 d:\baslin

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] BL3 kernel panic with FAT32 d:\baslin
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:10:17 -0400 (EDT)

I used my ethernet cards to transfer BL3 from a computer where it was on
the first drive in d:\baslin and there was one other hard drive (hdb) and
one CD-R drive (hdc), to a second computer with one hard drive (hda) and
BL3 again in d:\baslin. I transferred BL3 to several computers this way
and on the others it runs. This one has DVD drive on hdc and CD-R/RW on
hdd (given to us in a dead computer and both able to read CDs but not
tested beyond that).

I go into d:\baslin and type boot (same boot.bat as usual).

dmesg gets stuck after telling me:

loop: registered device at major 7
hda = Maxtor.....
hdc= DVD
hdd = CD-R/RW
FDC ....
hda: hda1 hda2 hda3 (BL2 on hda3, DOS on others, Win98 on hda1 too)
attempt to access beyond end of drive
07:00, rw=0, want=2, limit=0
dev 07:00 blksize=1024,..... [is this part important?]
EXT2-fs: unable to read superblock
attempt to access beyond end of drive
07:00, rw=0, want=1, limit=0
dev 07:00 blksize=1024,..... [is this part important?]
FAT bread failed
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs at 07:00

What does 07:00 mean?
This is a large partition and I don't think it is full of DOS.
I think I generally only get kernel panic if I have mstab pointing at the
wrong partition. I don't know how to look at mstab in the loop BL3
without booting BL3. Time to put BL3 on its own partition but what did I
do wrong here?

This is a FAT32 DOS partition where D:\baslin resides. On my own
computers I use FAT16 for DOS. Would it be causing the FAT bread problem
when booting BL3? If so, can a DOS FAT32 directory safely be changed to
FAT16 (pqmagic can probably do this, I hope). The owner thought he could
get more usable space with FAT32 since it is a large partition.

Gateway 266MHz PII with Intel cpu, if it matters.
BL3 works okay on a nearly identical 233MHz board (except that I have to
bypass system files on that one for Xvesa and add d=64 to emm386 there).
The other computer has BL2 on a separate hard drive as do all the others
where I have BL3 working.