baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 kernel panic with FAT32 d:\baslin

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 kernel panic with FAT32 d:\baslin
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:21:22 +0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> Would it be possible to compile things in BL3
> (older glibc5) and then add glibc5 to BL2 and
> run the BL3 programs in BL2?

Yes. I believe Slackware 7.1 even has an optional
package for the libc5 runtime.

> Of course nobody else could use them without also
> adding glibc5

Unless you compiled static binaries. BL3 already
contains some static binaries.

> how large is the runtime library?

Less than 1mb. About half the size of glibc2.

> Or would it make them much larger to compile statically
> incorporating libc5

Yes, they will be larger. But not as large as static
glibc2. The static binaries in BL3 are compiled with
uClibc (which makes the smallest binaries of the three).

> I still need to read WORD files that are beyond the
> capabilities of five WORD to text convertors.

I've been quite happy with AbiWord. It sometimes messes
up the formatting a bit, but the text is very readable
(except when somebody has imported spreadsheet data into
their Word document).