baslinux - Re: [BL] Rescue Disk needed

  • From: 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Rescue Disk needed
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 21:22:54 -0000

Sindi Keesan wrote:

> I was thinking of booting from DOS boot disk with zimage
> as a way for Denton to get at his BL1 installation

I doubt that he has a functional BL1 installation on HD.

> since he did not set up with a DOS partition

The only way of installing BL1 with 4mb is via a DOS
partition.

> Will he be able to boot this way in 4MB RAM?

He can boot the kernel this way, but the kernel needs
a root filesystem to run on. He doesn't have enough
RAM to run the root filesystem in a ramdisk.

> Or maybe it would be easier if he just booted in DOS,
> deleted his linux partitions with DOS fdisk from the
> boot floppy, and started over again

Yes, I suggest he start over again.

> with 1MB DOS partition,

It takes a bigger DOS partition to install BL1 with 4mb
RAM. I don't remember the exact number (it's in the BL1
instructions for 4mb RAM). Perhaps he should start with
an 8mb DOS partition and later convert it to swap?

> I forget why he chose BL1.

As I said before, BL3 is easier to install with 4mb RAM.