baslinux - Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Connecting via ethernet
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 13:04:01 -0400 (EDT)

A summary of my failures:

Today I tried four rtl8139(D) cards, all PCI. One of the four is not
working. insmod rtl8139 - 'device or resource busy'. I did this three
times, powering off each time. Is this card dead? I did not load any
other network modules, treated it just like the other four cards, powered
off (obviously, to insert the cards) in between cards.

The Kingston ISA card tells me 'No NE*000 card found at i/o=0x120 when I
do insmod ne io=0x300 irq=10 also for 0x280 320 340 360. I could not find
a diagnostic program (but I did learn that it takes ne module) and both SW
71 and 32 net.i kernels choked on it. Anything else I should try with
this card?

The Winbond ISA 906, with the correct io and irq from a diagnostic
program:
insmod ne io=0x300 irq=10

Loads the module, ifconfig, route tells me things are okay, but the
card will not ping. Yes I made sure it was plugged in, but could the
contacts be tarnished or bent? One of the 8 stripes looks a bit dirty.

I have 7 working pci and one working 3com ISA card now for our 11 linux
computers and 3 more will probably show up eventually. Does anyone want
my three nonworking cards for the price of postage?

The dead ISA cards have something about 1x.7 cm that looks like a clock
chip (shiny metal with two leads at one end). The 1992 3com ISA does not
have this object. The two newer RTL 8139D cards have a much smaller
version, and the two older ones (not D) have a .7x.7 cm square version.

Does the size of this object indicate the speed of the card? What is
'fast ethernet', 10 or 100Mbit?