baslinux - Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems

  • From: Hal MacArgle <halinux AT kvinet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 09:30:21 -0400

On 05-04, Sindi Keesan wrote:
> David Lane wrote suggesting that I update my 56K X2 hardware modem by
> downloading a file. I searched on the chip number and found something at
> driverguide (a file named after the FCC number). I unzipped, extracted,
> ran the exe in DOS, and ATI17 now tells me also V90. I connected at
> '115200' and downloaded files at about the speed of a 56K modem. Next
> time I connected it boinged for longer than usual and connected me at 28.8
> but I suspect the phone lines are not that clean and I got a bad one.

Can you believe the various "reports" especially with MSDos?
I don't think there's a real "benchmark" standard.. Typically, MSD
reports all my machines as having a 486, no matter what the CPU -
except the old ones.. MFT the same.. 115200 is, no doubt, the DTE
speed, not DCE.. The whole thing is a bag of worms methinks..

> This list is wonderful! Thanks Steven. Thanks David.
>

> I still have not found a way to transfer fs.img. Laplink pro produces
> something with a different md5sum number. If I zip the file first with
> PKZIP the transferred zip file has the same md5sum number. But when I
> unzip it again at the other end the number for fs.img does not match.
>
> I transferred via plip and the numbers still don't match.
>
> Maybe I need to zip, upload, and then download, like Steven did?

Have you tried 'cmp' to compare the files.. LLPro and Plip
may add headers or signatures that upset md5sum.. Just guessing.. I'm
going to do some testing using an ethernet transfer as well as NFS
over ethernet.. Interesting... Maybe PKZIP is different than GNU's
ZIP as far as checksums go, even tho the end result is the same??

Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 9.0 (2.4.20)

Anyone can pile complexity upon complexity;
only a genius can truly simplify..
.