baslinux - [BL] plip problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [BL] plip problem
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 15:34:15 -0400 (EDT)

Today while setting up the last of six linux computers, via plip transfer
of one large compressed archived file, I could not get plip to work again.
Unlike the two other computers that would not do plip, this one boots
linux fine with DR-DOS, and the PCI slots work.

Removed the Hercules card (which always sets itself to parport0) and I
could plip from the onboard port. Tried two other jumper settings onthe
Hercules card, both of which disabled llpro. Llpro will do file transfers
to this card at the right switch setting, plip won't.

WE put in another Hercules card. (We have about 8). It works. The other
four cards also work for plip. The one that does not work is a really
neat one with a place to attach a light pen, and is made in Taiwan with
components from Korea and Malaysia. THe one that does work is made in
Taiwan with components from Korea (slightly lower numbers on them) and
Japan. I did not look at the other four working ones.

In another 50 minutes we will have six working linux computers and then I
can attack fs.img again, somehow. Hal got it transferred via ethernet
card. I might get a second card and a cable and try that.

On the two computers that did not do plip, or boot linux from DR-DOS, I
think we also tried without any cards but a video card in there. I
suppose we ought to try again, using the onboard port without any Hercules
card in there.