baslinux - Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 16:46:38 -0400 (EDT)

It turns out that although we have three '56K' non-winmodems, two of them
will only connect at 28.8K because, if you query the modem, ATI17 tells
you
6/16/97 and Options V32bis, V34+, X2

>From a web search:
V34+ - 28.8/33.6K (v32bis is probably 28.8K)
X2 - obsolete 56K standard

When I set Windows to 33K or X2 or V90 it connects at 28.8K. Once I got
31.6K when I set it to 'standard' but usually also 28.8K.

The third modem is 2/10/98 and also lists v90. When set to 'standard
modem' it connects at 56K.

I hope these modems will connect at 33 rather than 28 in linux - how do I
tell the connection speed? Why is a v34+ modem connecting at 28.8K?

Now I know why we have these modems. But 33K is not bad.

I can use Realaudio on a separate, slower, Win98 computer with a 56K
winmodem, of which we have two that work at 56K.