baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 boot problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 boot problem
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 16:46:30 -0400 (EDT)

To fix a 'resource conflict---PCAMass Storage Controller Configuration
Error..'' error when switching from AGP to PCI video
card in a Gateway PII 233 with Phoenix BIOS we removed the battery for a
couple of hours, booted without the battery and with an AGP card, got the
same error message, and tried again but this time hit F1 to enter setup
BEFORE getting the error message and this time it booted.

Jim hypothesizes that the default CMOS configuration settings were not
loaded until we did this. The time had been reset but other settings
might not have been changed. I don't hypothesize anything.

We removed the AGP card, put in the battery and the S3 Virge PCI card, hit
F1 before it got very far into booting, and the PCI card now works.

On another PII in order to switch from AGP to PCI we had to first put in
an ISA card. In this computer the ISA card would not let the computer
even start to boot.

I found the page on which to reserve IRQs for legacy ISA devices and I
reserved IRQ3 for the com2 modem and IRQ5 for the sound card (which was
not working before, Windows said it was already in use). I set it to
share 1 IRQ for the PCI video card instead of auto - is this right?
Or are there other PCI devices that need to share IRQs with the card?

We have Win98 on our first hard drive and I notice that all the directory
names are truncated to 8 characters such as progra~1. I wonder how Jim
managed to do this when he was using the drive in a previous computer.
It was originally Win95, probably FAT16, so perhaps he ran DOS defrag on
it like you are not supposed to do. Seems to work anyway but I might
hand-edit them back.