baslinux - Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems

  • From: Hal MacArgle <halinux AT kvinet.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Win98/linux coexistence problems
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 14:02:20 -0400

On 05-07, Sindi Keesan wrote:
> On Fri, 7 May 2004 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:
>
> > Sindi Keesan wrote:
> > >
> > > Steven, what did you use to zip bl3 in the first place
> > > - DOS pkzip or something else?
> >
> > DOS pkzip 204g
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Steven
>
> Hal reports that he can transfer fs.img and get the same checksum at both
> ends using ethernet, with or without zipping. I wonder what the parallel
> cable is doing to mess things up.

Please correct, anyone, if I'm wrong: IIRC, reading
somewhere, that plip uses nibbles, 4 bit width, not able to do 8 bits
at a time because of handshaking or acking, so the bytes have to be
unassembled and re-assembled on the fly.. Also, wonder if the
parallel port BIOS settings might have something to do with it; EPP,
SPP, etc? Older MB's supported only SPP..

> I may try transferring between drives on the same computer, out of
> curiosity, and then serial cable (Kermit). Slow, but only that one file
> is needed. Hal said ethernet is nearly instant. How fast is 10Mb
> ethernet relative to plip? Plip took about 50 minutes for 170MHb. It
> does not seem any slower than transfer between drives on the same computer
> to me.

10mbs ethernet is 10 million bits per second which means 1
million bytes, give or take.. Is this correct?? 170mB, upper case B
meaning bytes, would be around 170+ seconds, again, give or take,
around <3 minutes.. This "octal" mind not very sharp anymore. <g>

Hal - in Terra Alta, WV - Slackware GNU/Linux 9.0 (2.4.20)

Anyone can pile complexity upon complexity;
only a genius can truly simplify..
.