baslinux - Re: [BL] BL3 boot problem

  • From: Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] BL3 boot problem
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 00:26:24 -0400 (EDT)

I was able to boot the problem computer (a 233MHz AMD) using the 2-floppy
BL2 set that we made and do md5sums that way, comparing BL2 and BL3 files
on (1) the original computer (Cyrix 150MHz)
(2) the computer to which I made
the first copies (Intel 233MHz) and where Bl2 works but BL3 won't boot,
and (3) the AMD 233 where BL3 won't boot and BL2 booted from floppy but
half the time won't boot from hard drive to ramdisk and gives one of two
error messages.

zimage for all 3 bl2s is the same, so is baslinux.gz, so the problem is
not corrupt files, but something to do with the hardware on the AMD

zimage for Bl3 is the same on all three computers, but fs.img is different
for all three computers, meaning it is not getting copied correctly by
llpro.

AMD 12183e6f8.....
Intel 7007b612e.....
Cyrix e974686b......

I did not check the other two computers. BL2 worked on both. I am
actually surprised that 3 out of 4 'new' computers are usable.

I will try copying it via plip to the three computers where plip is
working and decide what to do about the fourth computer where BL3 is not
working and BL2 usually is not working and when it does work plip does
not. Maybe the floppy disk version will do plip properly. Why would
llpro work so badly on fs.img but just fine on zimage, is it the size?

Has anyone else copied installed BL3 between computers, or just the zip
file? I did not want to reinstall because I have added and changed
things.

If I wanted this all to work right I suppose I could buy a new computer
and a commercial package. But the only new computer I ever bought only
worked at the store. They never tested it with the cover on, which caused
things to contact that should not have contacted each other.