baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:17:20 +1000

HI Sindi

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:07:11 -0400 (EDT)
Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:

> We are putting together some computers for DOS and linux (with 3 or 4 ISA
> slots) each of which will have two hard drives and two sizes of floppy
> drive (which means converting one of the power supply plugs since we ran
> out of the regular styles unless someone has a better idea). The two
> drives are so I can have four DOS partitions and more than one linux
> partition (4 per drive). In DOS, after putting on software, I can resize
> the partitions with partition magic, or add or subtract partitions,
> without losing any data. I start by defragmenting the partitions so as to
> make free space at the ends of them.
>
> Is this true of linux? Can I format the entire 1G drive as one ext2
> partition, and then later, with say 300 M of linux files on the drive, can
> I split it into two 500M partitions without messing up linux? If I
> remove files from linux and then put more files on, do they go into the
> contiguous free space at the end of the partition, as in DOS while there
> is such space, or do they fill in the holes left by removing files?
>
> I might want to use a separate partition for BL1, BL2, BL3, and BL4 or
> FreeBSD, for instance. I have not found any need for a swap partition
> since I have 64M RAM. We have run out of connectors for a third hard
> drive.
>
> How have other basiclinux users ended up partitioning their drives and
> what sorts of operating systems do they have on them? Would it be better
> to start off with 2 or more partitions and split linux up among them
> (mount them all and if I decide I want to use more than one operating
> system, move all the BL2 files to one partition and unmount the others?).
>
> All ideas on this welcome.

I have installed two new HD on separate machines, one 20 GB and one 40 GB.
Both machines run MSDOS 6.20 as their main OS.

For both, I used fdisk, from a BL2 RAM boot, to partition into 4 separate
primary partitions.
2 and 3 on each HD were 2 GB DOS partitions, my greatest need, and 2 and 1
were set to Native Linux.

The DOS partitions needed Nortons Disk Doctor to setup properly.
After that, I simply installed the Linux distros I wanted into the partitions
I had set aside for them.

Regards,
Ron

--