baslinux - Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?

  • From: Ron Clarke <ariadne AT acepia.net.au>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] repartitioning for linux?
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 08:13:54 +1000

Hi Sindi,

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 23:38:58 -0400 (EDT)
Sindi Keesan <keesan AT iamjlamb.com> wrote:

> > > How have other basiclinux users ended up partitioning their drives and
> > > what sorts of operating systems do they have on them? Would it be
> > > better
>
> Ron wrote:>
> > I have installed two new HD on separate machines, one 20 GB and one 40
> > GB.
> > Both machines run MSDOS 6.20 as their main OS.
>
> I heard 6.20 was better than 6.22 but I forget why. Why?

I have no idea if it is or if it isn't. I only have MSDOS 5.0 and 6.20
to look at.

> > For both, I used fdisk, from a BL2 RAM boot, to partition into 4
> > separate primary partitions. 2 and 3 on each HD were 2 GB DOS
> > partitions, my greatest need, and 2 and 1 were set to Native Linux.
>
> Did you mean 4 and 3 were DOS?
> What is the rule about something booting from the first 8 MB?

3 DOS (2 GB) partitions on one of the HD, and 2 DOS (2 GB) partitions on
the other HD in the other machine.

Don't know anything about first 8 MB.

> > The DOS partitions needed Nortons Disk Doctor to setup properly.
> > After that, I simply installed the Linux distros I wanted into the
> > partitions I had set aside for them.
>
> What did you use Disk Doctor for that fdisk could not do?

I had to format the new DOS partitions, and even then they failed Norton's
Disk Doctor check, so I let NDD fix them.

> Which linux
> distros do you use and how much space do they occupy?

Machine 1: BL2.1 has 32 GB to play in.

Machine 2: BL2.1 has 5 GB, and Peanut Linux (RedHat based) has 10 GB.

> Do you use more
> than one and if so why?

Peanut was recommended by a techie friend I trust.
It is the very latest (as of 6 months ago) based on a RedHat distro.
I am not real happy with it because although it is able to run a lot of
multimedia
stuff that BL2 doesn't, there is something not quite right about the
X-windows setup and
I have yet to find the problem(s).

It will probably turn out to be that I am not using enough gun, so to
speak -
I have 64 MB RAM on an AMD K6 450 MHz machine.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ron Clarke